Are Non-US Citizens Allowed To Work In The US?

People seek employment to earn money to spend on their needs. Many folks all over the world have been seeking opportunities in the United States since the Colonial period and have settled since. Right now, the US job market is at its strongest, having an employment rate of 69.4%, the highest so far! 

Employment For Foreigners

Even if you are not a citizen, you can still work in the US. Many countries choose to work (and sometimes stay) in the US. The top countries that account for the largest immigrant population in the US are namely: Mexico (25%), China and India (6%), Philippines (5%), and El Salvador (3%). Below are ways on how foreigners can apply for a job in the US, even if they are not citizens.

Employment Authorization Document

All you need to do is to secure a US work permit, or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD.) What should you do to accomplish it? Here are the steps:

  • Fill-up Form I-765 (Application for  Employment Authorization)
  • Attach documents that prove you’re eligible for the job
  • Submit it to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 

Once they have processed your application, foreigners will be eligible to work for a certain period in the US. Usually, this work permit is limited to those who are applying for a green card or those who have a “temporary right” to be in the US. It also includes permanent Immigrants, student exchange, exchange Visitor Visas, and Temporary work visas for skilled and seasonal workers.

H1-B Visa

It is a visa in the US that permits employers to employ foreign nationals temporarily in specialty jobs. Such specialty occupations require specialized skill and knowledge and a bachelor’s degree. They are allowed to work up to six 6) years; their tenure can be extended depending on certain circumstances. As for the employers, they can withhold from the salaries of their employees the Social Security and Medicare taxes. Once your contract has expired, you must leave the US for at least a year before applying again.

Working in the US has many benefits that other places don’t usually offer. This situation paved the way for many foreign nationals to seek greener pastures in the “land of milk and honey.” Always remember that your work experience is verified before you get accepted. Make sure that what you put in your resume is true and verifiable. Prepare all the necessary documents you need, and secure your ESTA certification ahead, to make your employment in the states an enjoyable one!